History

In 1938, Charles E. Schmidt Sr. of Chicago, Illinois, established a mail-order tractor parts business from his kitchen table, and by 1939, it had grown into a successful retail store in Minot, North Dakota. Today, with over 1,800 stores in 49 states, we are the largest operator of rural lifestyle retail stores in the United States and are committed to being the most dependable supplier of basic maintenance products to home, land, pet and animal owners. Learn more about Tractor Supply’s more than 80-year history by watching this video and exploring the timeline below.

Timeline